Sweet Potato & Chickpea Tagine
I love creating simple tasty dinners from store cupboard staples & vegetables
….minimum waste and maximum taste!
Try this vegan recipe as part of your week – it takes about 50 minutes to cook in total, so perhaps
a good one to make on Sunday evening in preparation for the week ahead…..
- 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 red onion
- 1 white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 bag of fresh spinach (you could also use a few handfuls of frozen spinach)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (or more if you prefer it spicy)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 cans of plum/diced tomatoes
- 1/2 block of creamed coconut (or 1/2 can of coconut milk)
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 1/2 teaspoon of vegetable stock
- 1 can chickpeas (in water – not salted)
Serve with brown rice, sliced avocado and lots of freshly squeezed lime!
- In a big pan add chopped onion and garlic, cook in coconut oil until soft
- Add to the pan – chopped sweet potato, carrot, pepper and sautee for 5 mins
- Now add the spices – cook for 2 minutes to release the aroma
- Season with salt & pepper, add tinned tomatoes, creamed coconut, tomato puree and a little vegetable stock – cook for 30 mins – you may need to add a little water if it doesn’t look like the vegetables are covered.
- Now add chickpeas & spinach and cook for a final 10 minutes
Serve with: Brown rice, avocado, fresh coriander and plenty of freshly squeezed lime
- Use any vegetables you like. Courgette, butternut squash, pumpkin, peas, kale all work well.
- Add 1/2 cup of red lentils at the same time as the tinned tomatoes for extra protein & fibre.
- Make it as spicy as you like – fresh chilli and yogurt would make tasty toppings.
- Add a few chopped dates/ dried apricots for a little sweetness.
If you would like nutritional support as Kate works with you to help you achieve your goals and help you feel healthy, energised and your best you, just drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 01242 227752 for more information.